
Guns. Check. Explosions Check. Slick f/x. Check. Cool sidekick (who may also be the most underrated actor in Hollywood). Check. Smoking hot female leads (when Scarlett Johansson is the 3rd hottest chick in the movie behind Gwyneth Paltrow and Leslie Bibb, you have some serious talent on your hands). Check. Quick, slick talking hero. Check. Ominous Villain. Check.
Ironman 2 came out blasting on all cylinders and never quit. This is what summer blockbusters are all about bitches. Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark is pure fucking genius. His sharp wit, and sarcasm left me dying through the entire movie. He is hands down the best cast superhero since Wesley Snipes as Blade, I would say, but infinitely more fun. Downey’s supporting cast didn’t have any slouches either. I have one thing to say about the chicks in this movie. SMOKE. There was one ass-shot of Scarlett Johansson in spandex that went straight into the spank bank (Thank you John Favreau). And I could watch Gwyneth Paltrow peel friggin’ potatoes. I wasn’t a huge fan of Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, mostly because he irritates the shit out of me as an actor, and he looks like a rat (have you ever seen Choke, or G-Force??)…. But maybe that was the point. Unfortunately, Don Cheadle’s talent is once again underutilized, but still puts in a solid performance as Tony Stark’s/Ironman’s sidekick Rhodey/Warmachine. He’s way better than Terrence Howard from the original Ironman though. This brings us to Mickey Rourke as super-villain Ivan Vanko… Dude is badass. This was the perfect role for Rourke, who gets to play a drunk whose prime years of genius were wasted in prison. Art imitates life right?
Overall, the movie had me rapt from beginning to end… completely passing the iPhone test. And despite the overabundance of characters (even Samuel L. Jackson made an appearance as Nick Fury), the script never deviated too far from the storyline. The action was flawless. The CGI was seamless. I’d say the best/most fun part was Iron Man vs. Warmachine after Tony Stark’s birthday about ½ way through the movie, which ends in a cataclysmic explosion nearly leveling Stark’s compound. Bring on Ironman3.
Notes:
- I loved the Captain America reference. I’m psyched for that ish.
- Samuel L. Jackson is a genius at making the ridiculous even more absurd.
-Gary Schandling’s quintuple chin makes me wanna throw up.
-I now want an Audi.
Rating: Dirk Diggler.
No comments:
Post a Comment